Friday 23 October 2009

The Truth Behind Beauty


I often contemplate what my life would be like if I woke up every morning and looked like this...A hell of a lot easier and happier I think....

Living where I do and doing what I do puts me and others I know glaringly into the focus of style, fashion, beauty. I hate it. I hate every minute of it. Would we have graced the cover of a magazine by now if we looked more 'conventional'? I believe so. Would we be the IT girls to hang around with if we were slender and blonder? I believe so.

Perhaps this is just a manifestation of my inner insecurities but I believe that how easy your life is and how far you go in it depends a little on intellect and chance and a whole damn way on how you look. It hurts but that's the truth.

I'm going to get the skinny model girl who dates guys in bands to DJ at my night because she is hot. FACT. She knows nothing about music and hasn't the slightest passion for it but she is fit. FACT.

Genetics, intuition, nature...you just can't fight this.

Lydia Lunch recently said this about us:

'I'm a fan of any women making noise who refuse to comply with an outdated beauty ethic and instead flaunt the power of their female charms with sass, spit and vinegar.'

Of course I was flattered as I've been a massive fan of hers for years. However I sat back and thought about it and it hurt that we're not considered beautiful, just people who don't comply with what girls in bands should look like. That's not quite the same thing.

At the end of the day, the last couple months have made me realise so much about this industry and myself. I've taken a huge leap away from it all. It's just the way things go and nothing's going to change. No sir. You just have to express your creativity for yourself and the rest can go to hell......

2 comments:

  1. I personally think you are a great looking band. as well as being 100% recognizable (which is not the case in 99% cases of blonde model gf's dj/band hopsies etc...)
    and hand at heart: would you really WANT to spend time with people who judge you purely on the basis of looks? because in that case I think there is not much to be expected from them. Besides Beth Ditto proved that one doesn't have to look conventionally beautiful to get on covers (I still dislike her for different reasons). In your case I think it might be more due to the unfashionable friendly/-and politeness and the lack of arrogance that makes the difference between THEM and YOU. Choose wisely what you prefer x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your thought-provoking words! You are right - I should focus on the few people that matter rather than the useless masses who bring misery upon themselves and others...Sometimes it's hard to take a step back and think....It's nice to hear pearls of wisdon from someone who understands and can think beyond the box..Thank you! XX

    ReplyDelete