Wednesday 4 November 2009

Berlin Shopping List

I'm not even there and I'm already planning...

1. Headphones - I want a really old pair - like a proper German fighter pilot. How cool!


2. A new vintage suitcase. The one that I got for 3 euros in Berlin last year has been my record bag and is literally falling apart.


3. A ring
I always used to buy a ring whenever I'd visit somewhere. I've just realised that this year is one of the most I've ever travelled and I haven't done this at all. I'm also quite upset as I've realised that I've misplaced one of my favourite rings that I've had for almost 10 years. I can't for the life of me remember where I put it/last wore it. I'm not really with it at the moment unfortunately...I have a very heavy and stressed head. The ring was a beautiful green amber ring set in silver which I bought when I was in Tallin, Estonia. I adored it. I've found something that looks very similar to it.


4. Records
I kind of buy records when I can afford to wherever I am but there's some pretty good bargains to be had in the Berlin markets. I need to leave enough room in my suitcase to fill it! The last time I bought records abroad was when I was in Chicago. Steve Albini recommended Reckless Records- I couldn't not go and check out a record shop he recommended surely??!! I ended up buying the Nirvana box set With The Lights Out for $21! R.E.M's Green album on vinyl for 50 cents! And Big Black's Lungs EP on vinyl for $6! I was too embarassed to tell him what I bought - particularly the Nirvana and Big Black stuff. It's like the first day we arrived at Electrical Audio, I was wearing a Sonic Youth t shirt and made it my mission to get changed as soon as we got there but Steve Albini was sitting on the sofa watching a poker programme which I wasn't expecting at all so I was shaking hands with Albini whilst wearing Sonic Youth on my chest like a right saddo. Oh and when we left, we got a picture with him and I was wearing a Chicago t shirt. I don't know what's sadder or how I manage to beat myself by doing even sadder things....

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea that you bought a ring everytime you travelled somewhere.. I do the same, but instead of a ring I try to buy a pendant for a necklace. The one I got from UK is my favorite so far.. And it's been 2 years already. It is an amber pendant and it is shaped as a shoe. I thought that it really matched the idea of me buying these pendants and it would fit me as I travel a lot. Great list! Thanks for ideas what should I look for when going to Berlin!

    ReplyDelete