Monday 22 December 2008

Creativity sometimes leads to interest that can lead to frustration which leads to depression


Over the last few months, we've been getting quite a lot of press band-wise. 99% of the interviews so far have consisted of these exact questions:
a) How did you come up with your name?
b) How did you all meet?
c) Where was your first gig?
d) (More of a statement than a question) You are all goths.

With those I know and trust and with those I dislike, I am very opinionated and enjoy ranting. As most interviews involve opinions, I'm pretty opinionated in them although lately answering the same questions again and again has become pretty tiresome. Plus we've only been together for a short while so I'm praying that any future press will be a bit more intellectually challenging.

We did an interesting interview the other day with a girl who seems to be a bit of a nu-raver and performs at clubs like Ghetto a lot. The questions mostly revolved around her own experiences which she then directed at us. I quite enjoyed the interview however when it was published, the article omitted the questions to which I really opened up to in my answers. For example, the lyrics to a particular song which were based on a very intimate, traumatic experience. I can't blame the magazine as I understand some answers don't make for light-hearted idle interview banter however it left me feeling a bit cold that even when you do open up, some people don't take what you're saying as being important or decide it doesn't make the best bit for a chunky quote.

I suppose to the quiet observer reading this I may seem like an ungrateful person who doesn't appreciate any of the press we've received. If you think that then you are missing the point. I have always felt that I have no interest in modern journalism, my interest lies only in literature. I also think that all budding journalists should read just one thing on their Journalism course and that is 'The Critic As Artist' by Oscar Wilde. This should be dished out for free internationally at all Journalism courses and believe me if it was, the world would be a much richer place.

For those unfamiliar with the work, Wilde discusses the beauty in works by classical artists but also demonstrates that the critic's role is equally as important as the artists and that the critic's 'art' should be as fine and as creative as the artists.

Perhaps most modern day journalists believe they are the Messiah with a Mac perched on their laps but do they really take their role as passionately and as seriously as Wilde enthuses? From recent experiences, the answer is a definitive no.

This emphasises my fascination with blogs and fanzines as it seems that fortunately the people do still have the power. Yes you did a journalism workshop for half a day in General Studies in the sixth form and tried to interview Blur but their press agent never got back to you so you had to settle for Shed Seven instead but you my friend are probably more passionate about music and a much better writer than anyone who works for an established magazine. You my friend, have the power.

So keep doing what you do so well. Because there are people out there like us, furiously writing and reading as if our lives depended on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment